The Horticulture department has set up scheduled "Work Days" for eager gardeners to come out to the Zoo and help maintain landscape beds. The second Saturday of every month, weather permitting, from 8 a.m. to Noon is designated as a "Work Day". Below are some of the duties Work Day Volunteers would be performing:
- Planting trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, blubs, tropical plants, etc. with shovels, nursery spades and hand trowels.
- Mulching plant beds or playground surfaces using pitchforks, scoop levels, rakes and wheel barrows.
- Assist with trimming or removing trees, shrubs, bamboo and ornamental grasses.
- Watering plants with hoses, sprinklers, tanks or watering cans.
- Racking and picking up leaves, limbs and other debris.
- Removing weeds by hand or with a nursery spade.
For more information regarding scheduling of Work Days, please contact the Volunteer Department at (502) 238-5350 or email email@example.com